South Woodford househunter Jess lands a job as sales adviser
- Credit: Archant
It’s not every day a visit to a housing development turns into a new job – but that’s what happened to one 26-year-old from South Woodford.
Fashion merchandiser Jess Rodgers, 26, showed up at Neave Place in Noak Hill to look at a property.
It wasn’t the homes that caught her eye, though, but the vocation.
A conversation with sales adviser Toni Brewster triggered thoughts of a career shift.
“Toni told me that she was relatively new to the job so we started talking about what the role entails,” Jess said.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve always wanted to get into property so when she told me that there might be jobs available, I was immediately excited.”
Before she knew it – just weeks later – she was appointed as a trainee sales adviser at Persimmon Homes Essex’s Quantum development in Grays.
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 6 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 7 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 8 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 9 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
She was offered the job before the interview had even finished.
“It’s all been a bit of a whirlwind. I’m absolutely delighted,” she said.
The trainee role gives Jess a mentor in the form of experienced sales adviser Tracy Benson.
“I am listening to every word Tracy is saying to try to learn as much as I can,” said Jess, the daughter of a construction site project manager.
“She has been here 15 years so certainly knows her stuff.
“It’s a really busy site with something going on all the time.
“This is a long-term move for me and I hope it can turn into a really positive career.”
Persimmon Homes Essex also has developments in Aveley and South Ockendon. Sales director Norman Sharpe said: “Our trainee schemes are an important part of the business and help to produce the workforce of the future.
“We’re really pleased to welcome Jess on board.
“She is hugely enthusiastic and bubbly and has many of the attributes we look for in our staff.”
The Quantum development in Grays, spread over 40 acres, consists of two, three and four bed houses and two-bed flats, with prices starting at £280,000.
The show home and marketing suite, where Jess works, is open every day of the week from 11am to 6pm.