South Woodford cooks inviting people to their home for tropical charity dinner
A food club in South Woodford is holding a charity dinner with a tropical twist on Saturday.
The Sharing Supper Club is putting on a Seychelles-inspired meal in aid of Action Against Hunger.
The charity provides supplies people with shortages because of war, famine and natural disasters.
Jennie Ward and Ben Merriman-Johnson have been running the club in South Woodford since November 2011.
They put on monthly meals in Ben’s flat for guests to enjoy and discuss international food.
You may also want to watch:
Jennie described the club as “a restaurant in someone’s house”.
She said: “It’s a really nice way to eat and meet people. The atmosphere is so much nicer than in restaurants.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
“People turn up not knowing each other and leave as friends. There have even been some relationships.”
Ben, who has worked in restaurants and London clubs, does the cooking but Jennie says the Seychelles feast was inspired by her family heritage.
“It’s all about trying something different and I’m sure the food will bring a bit of brightness to these dark rainy October days,” she said.
The planned meal includes octopus salad and traditional dessert La Doube.
The Sharing Supper Club puts on monthly meals but places must be booked in advance.
To join the Seychelles meal, search for the club at www.edibleexperiences.com.
Tickets are �30 and all proceeds go to Action Against Hunger.
To get involved with the club, visit www.facebook.com/SharingSupperClub.