South Ilford Community Kitchen considers accommodation option
- Credit: Archant
A new community kitchen has proved so successful the League of British Muslims organisation which runs the project is considering offering overnight accommodation too.
The South Ilford Community Kitchen in Eton Road, opened last month to widespread acclaim, including from the Salvation Army in Clements Road which runs a night shelter during the winter months.
Currently, the community kitchen cooks two meals each day of the week at lunchtime and in the evening.
But now Bashir Chaudhry, the chairman of the League of British Muslims, who co-ordinated the initiative with the support of local businesses, is setting his sights higher.
He said: “People are asking for overnight accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
“It is a possibility that by the end of the year we will have temporary accommodation.”
Mr Chaudhry explained about 20 people could sleep at the South Ilford Community Kitchen and have breakfast in the morning before vacating the premises to allow volunteer workers to prepare for lunch.
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 4 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 9 Hainault community garden gets £85k for 'ecotherapy' scheme
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
The Salvation Army in Clements Road offers a night shelter from December through to March to help the homeless through the difficult winter months.