Snaresbrook school used as secret Olympic camp for Team GB
A school which was used as a secret training camp by Team GB athletes during the Olympic Games has finally be able to reveal who was based there.
The sporting facilities at Forest School, College Place, Snaresbrook was used by a number of high-profile Team GB athletes who later went on to win gold.
For the past two months, boxing, swimming, hockey, fencing and Taekwondo teams used the school as a quiet camp away from the distractions of the athletes village.
Members of Team GB who went on to win gold medals after training at the school included 19-year-old Jade Jones in Taekwondo and boxer Nicola Adams who was the first-ever Olympic champion for women in the sport.
Fellow-boxers Anthony Joshua and Luke Campbell were awarded the top prize while Fred Evans took silver and Anthony Ogogo won bronze.
You may also want to watch:
Bronze medallist Lutalo Muhammed excelled at Taekwondo and Team GB women’s hockey team was also awarded bronze after they secured a 3-1 win over New Zealand.
The school was selected after British Olympic Association representatives visited over 20 locations in the area and Forest School’s facilities, location just four miles from Stratford and support were deemed the best.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Man taken to 'trauma centre' after head injury at Hainault station
- 9 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
- 10 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
The concept of a quiet camp was first piloted by Rebecca Adlington after she stormed her way to Olympic Gold during the 2008 Beijing Games.
Team GB athletes, who were transported between the Olympic Park and the school by school staff in the specially designated Olympic minibus, used either the school gym or sports hall while fencers used the cricket suite.
Organiser, Wayne Bishop, said: “This has been a fantastic experience for staff at Forest School.
“The athletes that used our site have all commented on the superb facilities and support they received. It has been immensely enjoyable.”