Smoke without fire in Ilford town centre as pawnbrokers alarm system creates scare
There was smoke without fire in Ilford town centre this morning after a high-tech burglar alarm pumped fog into the street.
Witnesses reported a fire after seeing the smoke pour out of H&T Pawnbrokers, in High Road, but there was no cause for concern.
A member of staff had accidentally set off a burglar alarm shortly after 9am.
The “fog bandit” system activates when an intruder is detected to create a thick, dense smoke that aims to stop potential burglars finding what they are attempting to steal.
A H&T employee, who did not want to be named, said the alarm has been switched off.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “It happens to the best of us, we’ve all set off an alarm by accident.”
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Woodford Green bomb scare declared false alarm
- 3 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 4 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 5 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 6 Lorry driver cleared over elderly couple's crash deaths, inquest hears
- 7 Clouds, rain and sunny intervals: East London weather forecast this week
- 8 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 9 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 10 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts