Smoke without fire in Ilford town centre as pawnbrokers alarm system creates scare
There was smoke without fire in Ilford town centre this morning after a high-tech burglar alarm pumped fog into the street.
Witnesses reported a fire after seeing the smoke pour out of H&T Pawnbrokers, in High Road, but there was no cause for concern.
A member of staff had accidentally set off a burglar alarm shortly after 9am.
The “fog bandit” system activates when an intruder is detected to create a thick, dense smoke that aims to stop potential burglars finding what they are attempting to steal.
A H&T employee, who did not want to be named, said the alarm has been switched off.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “It happens to the best of us, we’ve all set off an alarm by accident.”
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 7 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 8 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 9 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 10 Jailed: Newbury Park man for 'ludicrous' bid to defraud employer of £670k