Small Ilford business to be demolished to make way for Crossrail staff car park
A small family business in Ilford that has been running for more than 20 years is being demolished to make way for a Crossrail car park.
Academy Roofing Supplies, in Ley Street, is on the site of the train depot that will be used by Crossrail.
Although the depot is already used by workers from Bombardier Transportation and Greater Anglia, the amount of parking space is not deemed to be enough for the influx of Crossrail workers.
All buildings will be demolished but developers are required to find a new location for the business.
Three formal objections against the application were registered, along with a petition from nearby residents and businesses, but Redbridge Council’s regulatory committee approved the demolition at a meeting on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
A businessman objected to the plans because of the impact on the local economy.
He wrote: “There is ample car parking available in the locality and we struggle to see what benefit this change would bring to the local economy.”
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 10 Iain Duncan Smith reveals death threat as MPs pay tribute to 'unfailingly kind' colleague
A nearby resident was concerned about noise disturbance from the car park.
Committee chairman Cllr Richard Hoskins said Crossrail could see “no alternative” for the extra parking spaces needed.
He added: “The committee was concerned about losing a local business, especially one that is supported by local people but it was clear that Network Rail and TfL were going to end the lease in August.
“Members hope they will find a new location for the business locally.”
He said he knew of no similar applications from Crossrail to move or demolish businesses in Redbridge.
He added: “If more do come in, we will judge each on its merits.”
A Crossrail spokesman said the corporation was “optimistic” that a suitable site would be found for Academy Roofing Supplies.
He added: “The depot will not only be vital for Crossrail’s operation but will also create job opportunities for local people during construction and up to 90 jobs once the depot upgrades have been completed.”
New buildings at the yard are planned for the expansion including ten new sidings to house trains overnight and a new staff block.