Sleepless in South Woodford: Funky Mojoe nightclub restarts late night opening
- Credit: Archant
Not everyone will be going to bed early on Christmas Eve in South Woodford after a nightclub won the right to stay open until 1.30am.
Funky Mojoe, in High Road, successfully applied to the High Court on Wednesday to delay Redbridge Council’s decision to slash its opening hours.
In the latest twist to the five-year saga, the club can extend its hours on Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and Friday and Saturday nights until January 29.
The venue, well-known for its appearances on reality show The Only Way Is Essex, will then go through a judicial review in an attempt to permanently overturn the council’s ruling.
The last appeal was dismissed at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court in November, meaning the club had to operate new opening hours – serving until 11pm Sunday to Thursday, and 11.30pm on Fridays and Saturdays - compared to 2.30am previously.
You may also want to watch:
A campaign against rowdiness from the bar was supported by Chingford and Woodford Green Iain Duncan Smith and councillors.
Residents said they were often woken in the night by drinkers leaving the club who left litter, bottles, cans and even urinated in the streets.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
The council’s review into Funky Mojoe’s licence started after a “street brawl” in January, when around 50 people fought outside the club with belts and bottles in the early hours.
A council spokesman said: “This application was strongly opposed by the council and we are very disappointed with the outcome and know that it will be very disheartening news for local residents.
“The council is currently considering the decision and the merits of an appeal.
“In the meantime, we will continue to monitor the location and the venue closely and work with the venue’s management to ensure they continue to comply with their licence conditions.”