Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- Credit: Archant
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has been appointed as shadow child poverty secretary by Labour leader Keir Starmer amid a reshuffle of the shadow cabinet.
Mr Streeting will lead Labour's policy and campaigns on tackling child poverty, which he says will be a key mission for the next Labour government.
Before the reshuffle, Mr Streeting was the shadow minister for schools.
Commenting on his appointment, he said: “Having grown up on a council estate and received free school meals, I understand better than most the impact of poverty on children’s lives.
“As Labour’s shadow child poverty secretary, I’ll be taking the fight to the government on behalf of children everywhere and developing a plan to lift millions of children out of poverty under the next Labour government.
You may also want to watch:
"I’m delighted that Keir Starmer has made this a priority for Labour and honoured that he has asked me to lead this work.”
This reshuffle comes following the May 6 local elections, which saw Sadiq Khan reelected as mayor of London.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 4 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 5 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 6 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 8 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 9 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 10 Hainault woman celebrates 100th birthday with mayoral visit