Sexual exploitation within Asian community topic of conference at Redbridge Town Hall today
The question of who, if anyone, is sexually exploiting south Asian women was the topic of a lively conference held today.
Speakers from charities, a university and local councillors attended the meeting which attracted more than 50 people.
It was organised by the Sikh Women’s Alliance at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford.
The conference was called to address whether sexual exploitation within the community is widespread after a number of high profile court cases.
Topics included the scale of the problem, how to support victims and the role gurdwaras could, and do, play.
You may also want to watch:
Speakers include Cllr Filly Maravala, Rita Chadha from the Refugee and Migrant Forum of East London, Jasbir Panesar from the University of East London and Cllr Balvinder Saund as chairman.
Did you go to the conference today? Tell us what you thought by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @ilfordrecorder.
- 1 Medical student who helped injured biker calls for more first aid training
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 4 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 5 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 6 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 9 Letter: High-density housing plans in Redbridge
- 10 Primary school creates memorial garden for pupils to remember loved ones