Sex pest twice molested woman who boarded Snaresbrook Tube train
A sex pest who molested a commuter twice in a week has been jailed for eight months.
Eduard Stepanov, 46, groped the horrified woman’s private parts after she boarded a westbound Central Line Tube at Snaresbrook station, Station Approach, on August 23.
After spotting her again on August 30, Stepanov stalked her from one carriage to another before grabbing her bottom, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
The shocked 28-year-old, who was travelling to work in south London, was initially too afraid to make a complaint but alerted police after the second attack.
A jury found father-of-one Stepanov guilty of two counts of sexual assault after a trial.
You may also want to watch:
Judge Timothy Lamb told Stepanov: “The victim’s evidence was on the occasion of the first assault that your hand went up between her legs as far as her clothed genitals.
“You dispute that your hand went that far but there was deliberate touching.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 10 Parents of man with special educational needs slam council over his care
“Your account of events on August 23 was that you misinterpreted the signals the victim was giving you.
“Even if one gives you credit for the nature of your misunderstanding, the events on August 30 are beyond the comprehension of this court.
“You encountered the same victim and followed her from one carriage to another.
“She overcame her fear on the second occasion and fled from the train.”
Stepanov is also subject to a five-year restraining order banning him contacting the victim and from entering Snaresbrook Tube station.
He is only allowed to travel in the last three carriages when he uses the Underground.
Daniel Higgins, defending, said Stepanov mistakenly believed the woman had given her consent and he became “confused” after she did not immediately stop him touching her.
Stepanov, of Wellington Road, Leytonstone, denied two counts of sexual assault.
He must sign the sex offenders’ register for 10 years.