Seven Kings gurdwara opens night shelter
A homeless shelter for anyone needing somewhere safe and secure to stay during the cold winter nights has opened at a gurdwara in Seven Kings.
The Gurdwara Singh Sabha, High Road opened the night shelter yesterday and organisers hope it will stay open for three months.
Upkar Singh Rai of Seven Kings, said: “It’s about putting something back into the community, many homeless shelters are over run with people so we thought what can we do to help the vulnerable.”
The shelter will offer medical help, food and a warm and safe place for people to sleep as well as counselling.
“It’s all run by volunteers giving up their time.” Mr Rai added. “It’s important as Guru Nanak focused on giving things back to the community.”
You may also want to watch:
It is the second year the gurdwara has run the shelter.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 4 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 5 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 7 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 10 Hainault woman celebrates 100th birthday with mayoral visit