Seven Kings celebration of Sikh Guru Gobind Singh postponed
The day for celebrating the birthday of Sikh Guru Gobind Singh will no longer be on Saturday (5) at the gurdwara in Seven Kings.
Following a consultation by experts in India, the celebration of the birthday will now be moved to January 18 as part of a realignment of Sikh festivals with the Christian calendar.
Mankamal Singh, 39, treasurer of the Gurdwara Singh Sabha, High Road, Seven Kings, said: “The Sikhs work on the lunar calendar, so every year we loose certain days.
“There was a review and some festivals were realigned so they make sense in the Christian calendar and stop festivals falling into another month altogether.”Guru Gobind Singh was the 10th guru and is credited with formalising the faith.
“He stood for the battle for human rights and to give equality and to break away from the cast system,” said Mr Singh.
You may also want to watch:
Between three and four thousand visitors are expected to visit the gurdwara for the celebration.
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Hainault community garden gets £85k for 'ecotherapy' scheme