Seven Kings celebration of Sikh Guru Gobind Singh postponed
The day for celebrating the birthday of Sikh Guru Gobind Singh will no longer be on Saturday (5) at the gurdwara in Seven Kings.
Following a consultation by experts in India, the celebration of the birthday will now be moved to January 18 as part of a realignment of Sikh festivals with the Christian calendar.
Mankamal Singh, 39, treasurer of the Gurdwara Singh Sabha, High Road, Seven Kings, said: “The Sikhs work on the lunar calendar, so every year we loose certain days.
“There was a review and some festivals were realigned so they make sense in the Christian calendar and stop festivals falling into another month altogether.”Guru Gobind Singh was the 10th guru and is credited with formalising the faith.
“He stood for the battle for human rights and to give equality and to break away from the cast system,” said Mr Singh.
You may also want to watch:
Between three and four thousand visitors are expected to visit the gurdwara for the celebration.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 7 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 10 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites