School trip accidents which left two Redbridge children seriously hurt still not investigated one year on

Fairlop Waters Outdoor Activity Centre

Fairlop Waters Outdoor Activity Centre - Credit: Archant

The families of two boys injured in horrific school trip accidents have no answers a year on from when authorities promised investigations.

There has been no explanation for how a construction lorry collided with a child at the Redbridge Cycling Centre, or why a staff patrol boat at Fairlop Waters Activity Centre was so close to children doing raft building that a boy’s leg was caught in the propeller.

Full investigations were promised after both incidents last summer, but discussions between Redbridge Council and the government’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE) over who should carry them out means nothing has been started.

In the first accident, an 11-year-old boy was with classmates from Al Noor Primary School, in Goodmayes, at the Redbridge Cycling Centre, Forest Road, Hainault, when he and a construction vehicle collided

The lorry was understood to be on the cycle track the schoolchildren were using at the time of the accident on June 27 last year. A London Ambulance Service spokesman said the boy was treated for injuries to his face, arms and legs and taken to hospital in the air ambulance.


You may also want to watch:


Less than a month later, another 11-year-old, from St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, Chingford, was enjoying a trip at Fairlop Waters Activity Centre, Forest Road, Barkingside, when his leg was mangled by a patrol boat propeller on July 17.

A witness, who did not want to be named, said: “The blade cut into his calf, it was open about five inches all the way to the bone. His colour went to grey and they gave him oxygen when he was in the water.”

Most Read

Firefighters happened to be across the lake on a training exercise and rushed to the boy’s aid in a boat.

Dagenham station manager Paul McClenaghan said the crews saved the boy’s life. He added: “He had been in the water for nearly half an hour before we were alerted, so if we hadn’t been training nearby, this could have ended tragically.”

The boy is understood to have undergone two operations.

The council and HSE were asked to comment but did not respond to our questions.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter