Sand-sational! Ilford’s volleyball courts open complete with sand from Horse Guards Parade
More than 900 tonnes of sand have been cleaned, raked and delivered to Ilford creating the borough’s first beach volleyball courts.
The three courts opened today in Loxford Park, Loxford Lane together with the newly renovated club house.
The courts will be officially launched in the spring but today students from Chadwell Heath Academy, Christie Gardens, Chadwell Heath and Oaks Park High School, Oaks Lane, Newbury Park got to try them out.
Members of the public will be able to make bookings to use the courts over the coming weeks.
The courts are located in the former bowls court which closed about three years ago. The renovation cost �50,000, paid for by Sport England, which included renovating the former club house, putting up new fences and buying equipment.
You may also want to watch:
About 970 tonnes of sand were delivered by trucks over three days to get the sand from the Olympic courts at Horse Guards Parade to Ilford.
- 1 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 2 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 New trees to be planted at Fairlop Waters
- 5 Former Met worker sentenced for stealing lost property cash
- 6 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 7 Woodford Green pupil reaches final of national science and engineering competition
- 8 'Beyond my wildest dreams': Redbridge tutor receives MBE
- 9 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 10 Redbridge pupils shortlisted in competition to design Olympic Park pavilion