Sand-sational! Ilford’s volleyball courts open complete with sand from Horse Guards Parade
More than 900 tonnes of sand have been cleaned, raked and delivered to Ilford creating the borough’s first beach volleyball courts.
The three courts opened today in Loxford Park, Loxford Lane together with the newly renovated club house.
The courts will be officially launched in the spring but today students from Chadwell Heath Academy, Christie Gardens, Chadwell Heath and Oaks Park High School, Oaks Lane, Newbury Park got to try them out.
Members of the public will be able to make bookings to use the courts over the coming weeks.
The courts are located in the former bowls court which closed about three years ago. The renovation cost �50,000, paid for by Sport England, which included renovating the former club house, putting up new fences and buying equipment.
You may also want to watch:
About 970 tonnes of sand were delivered by trucks over three days to get the sand from the Olympic courts at Horse Guards Parade to Ilford.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station