Roadshow launched to get Newham's over 50s fitter!
A ROADSHOW is to be launched to help the over 50s get fitter and healthier. Part of the Go London campaign, the show will be based in the Stratford Centre from Monday April 12 for eight days between 9am to 5pm. The Fit 4 50+ campaign links people to ac
A ROADSHOW is to be launched to help the over 50s get fitter and healthier.
Part of the Go London campaign, the show will be based in the Stratford Centre from Monday April 12 for seven days between 9am to 5pm.
The Fit 4 50+ campaign links people to activities already happening in Newham and gives people ideas on how they can get active and build activity in to their life.
Just a little bit of exercise each day can really improve health and help prevent obesity. The campaign encourages adults to start gradually, keeping it simple and then slowly increase their level of fitness until they are up and moving at least five times a week, writes PAT COUGHTREY.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel Flowers, Joint Director of Public Health of NHS Newham, said: "One of the challenges of today's world is finding time, and opportunity, to do this. It can be as simple as cycling to work, walking more and a little faster, dancing, swimming or volunteering in a local group to get you out and about. Getting active can be fun and there's a lot of things going on locally that you can get involved in."
A partner with NHS Newham, the council can offer a range of community events and activities from tea dances to kurling competitions for people aged over 50 which run throughout the year.
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
More information on the council's physical activity for people 50 years and over on (020) 3373 0625 or enter your post code online at www.nhs.uk/letsgetmoving