Reunion of South Park swan pair caught on camera after rescue
- Credit: citizenside.com
These swans were caught snuggling on an Ilford lake in a touching reunion after days apart.
The male swan was lucky to get such a warm welcome after disappearing from South Park for two days and returning in an “ambulance” after his escapades.
Tony Webb, of the South Park Users Group, said the pair have lived together on the park lake, in South Park Road, Ilford, for years and are currently raising cygnets.
The male has a habit of disappearing for up to a day but last week he was gone for too long.
But when Elaine Webb, Tony’s wife, phoned the Shepperton Swan Sanctuary on Friday to report it missing, a matching bird happened to be in the back of their ambulance.
You may also want to watch:
Rescuers said he had been “beaten up” by territorial swans in Goodmayes Park after encroaching on their lake.
If it hadn’t been for the lucky call, the bird would have ended up far away in “neutral” territory, but he was taken straight back home to South Park.
Mr Webb, who uploaded pictures of the reunion to photo sharing site iWitness, said: “He jumped in the lake and it was very Hollywood - the cygnets swam towards him cheeping as if to say ‘daddy’.
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Woodford Green bomb scare declared false alarm
- 3 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 4 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 5 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 6 Lorry driver cleared over elderly couple's crash deaths, inquest hears
- 7 Clouds, rain and sunny intervals: East London weather forecast this week
- 8 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 9 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 10 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
“He went to see the female and they did this bending thing swans do with their necks to show affection.
“We’re hoping he’s learnt his lesson and won’t be straying too far again.”