Resurgent Barkingside continue recent hot streak

BARKINGSIDE’s recent good run continued with their third win in succession at the weekend, to the delight of boss Tony Fenn.

The Oakside outfit saw off Burnham Ramblers in their first home league game of the season with a 2-1 win.

Fenn is pleased with his side’s recent improvement, but still feels they need to finish teams off.

“We have a young side and have played some good football and have failed to kill teams off,” he said.

“But these three wins on the bounce against strong teams will have given us lots of confidence.”

The Barkingside boss has been forced to add several players to his injury-plagued squad in recent weeks with defenders Brad Thomas and Steve Good having signed on.

“We have picked up lots of injuries recently and I have had to sign more players to strengthen the squad,” he said.

Most Read

“But at last we are getting the results our football deserves.”

The Oakside outfit started the better at the weekend and bossed the play in the opening 10 minutes, but Burnham always looked dangerous.

After 18 minutes the home side took the lead when Reece Cosson’s low cross whipped across the penalty box and Ryan Imbert cheekily back-heeled it into the net.

Ramblers responded immediately and dominated the play, culminating with Michael Redmond’s shot beating goalkeeper Luke Dodds.

In the second half, Barkingside played well, with winger Perry Burns and Imbert giving Burnham’s defence problems.

The latter’s continued pressure on the visitors backline paid off after 55 minutes as a back pass was too short, allowing the striker to pounce on the loose ball and dribble around the keeper to tap home.

Both teams had chances to score late on with Ramblers continuing to post a threat on the break but ’Side held on for the victory.

This weekend Fenn’s men make the trip to the Old Spotted Dog to face struggling Clapton in the Essex Senior League.

The Tons are bottom, but have seen an improvement in recent weeks, beating Takeley in the Gordon Brasted Trophy 3-0, before a 2-2 draw at Bowers & Pitsea.