Residents relieved after Funkymojoe bar in South Woodford withdraws late opening application
A late-night bar favoured by celebrities has withdrawn its application to stay open later on certain nights, leaving elderly residents “happy” but unsure of what will happen next.
Funkymojoe, in High Road, South Woodford, originally applied for six temporary event licences to remain open until 3am, leaving residents in nearby Manor Court Lodge up-in-arms.
The club, which normally closes between 2-2.30am on Friday and Saturday nights, hoped to stay open later on June 5, August 27, October 29, Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve this year.
One resident, who spoke on behalf of the lodge, said: “The management company objected when they heard about the application. “We are certainly happy the club has changed their mind but we are worried what they might have up their sleeves next.
“We are all retired people living here, aged between 60-90, and the club wanted to open on two extra days over the Jubilee weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been suffering enough for the last four years and we feel imprisoned by the loud noise, disturbances in the street and screaming and shouting.”
According to records, about 44 complaints have been received against the club from January 31, 2010 to May 8 this year regarding noise, litter, verbal abuse and intimidation to local residents.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
The council’s licensing sub-committee was expected to make a decision on Wednesday of last week at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford before the application was withdrawn and the club has since declined to comment.
Church End ward councillor Hugh Cleaver said: “The bar has caused a lot of annoyance for the local people and I think they have taken the sensible line and withdrawn the application.
“Residents believe the establishment is open late enough and I think by not continuing with the application it has taken the heat off and shows they are trying to do their best.”