Redbridge volunteers to be athletics officials at the Olympics
Two Redbridge volunteers will be athletics officials at the Olympics.
Kevin Diedrick, 49, and Simon Wright, 55, will be based at the Olympic Park in Stratford.
They could work at events including the javelin, pole vault and high jump to measure distances, judge faults and log equipment.
Kevin is the bar manager at Woodford Green Athletics Club and Simon is the track and field secretary.
They are both qualified officials but the Olympics will be on a far bigger scale than any event they have done before.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Diedrick, of Hainault, has officiated at the European Athletic Championships.
He said: “I’m starting to get butterflies because it’s not far off now.
- 1 Chigwell rabbi hospitalised after 'unprovoked and cowardly attack'
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 4 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 5 Police meet with Jewish communities after attack on rabbi in Chigwell
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Two men arrested on suspicion of GBH following hospitalisation of rabbi
- 8 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 9 Man tried to become comic book character by stabbing teen in park toilets
- 10 Clayhall pupils grill Matt Hancock and Dominic Raab
“Depending on how well you do, you can be chosen to do events towards the end. I’d like to see it through.”
The volunteers are paid expenses and get to keep their two uniforms.