Redbridge volunteers to be athletics officials at the Olympics
Two Redbridge volunteers will be athletics officials at the Olympics.
Kevin Diedrick, 49, and Simon Wright, 55, will be based at the Olympic Park in Stratford.
They could work at events including the javelin, pole vault and high jump to measure distances, judge faults and log equipment.
Kevin is the bar manager at Woodford Green Athletics Club and Simon is the track and field secretary.
They are both qualified officials but the Olympics will be on a far bigger scale than any event they have done before.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Diedrick, of Hainault, has officiated at the European Athletic Championships.
He said: “I’m starting to get butterflies because it’s not far off now.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 5 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 6 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
“Depending on how well you do, you can be chosen to do events towards the end. I’d like to see it through.”
The volunteers are paid expenses and get to keep their two uniforms.