Redbridge volunteers to be athletics officials at the Olympics
Two Redbridge volunteers will be athletics officials at the Olympics.
Kevin Diedrick, 49, and Simon Wright, 55, will be based at the Olympic Park in Stratford.
They could work at events including the javelin, pole vault and high jump to measure distances, judge faults and log equipment.
Kevin is the bar manager at Woodford Green Athletics Club and Simon is the track and field secretary.
They are both qualified officials but the Olympics will be on a far bigger scale than any event they have done before.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Diedrick, of Hainault, has officiated at the European Athletic Championships.
He said: “I’m starting to get butterflies because it’s not far off now.
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
“Depending on how well you do, you can be chosen to do events towards the end. I’d like to see it through.”
The volunteers are paid expenses and get to keep their two uniforms.