Redbridge to welcome Olympic torch 5 days before Games
The Olympic torch will travel through Redbridge just five days before the start of the Games, it has been announced.
The borough will host its leg of the torch relay on Sunday, July 22.
It will start at Redbridge Cycling Centre, Forest Road, Hainault, before travelling through Redbridge.
The cycling centre will be a training venue for road cyclist competitors in the build-up to and during the 2012 Olympics.
Full details of the route through Redbridge will be revealed in the spring.
You may also want to watch:
The London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Bexley will also welcome the Olympic torch on July 22, ahead of the opening ceremony on July 27.
Along the Redbridge relay route there will be “community hotspots” where crowds can gather and enjoy entertainment from performers while waiting to catch a glimpse of the torch and flame.
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
- 9 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 10 Teen stabbed in Chadwell Heath
Redbridge ambassador volunteers will help marshall the route.
Later today, students from Uphall Primary School, Uphall Road, Ilford, will be at the cycling centre to celebrate the announcement of Redbridge’s part in the relay.
They will also present artwork they have been working on as part of a project on the Olympics.
The Olympic torch relay will start at Land’s End, Cornwall on May 19 and arrive in the Olympic Stadium on July 27.
It will travel an estimated 8,000 miles around the UK and be carried by 8,000 torchbearers, who will have places confirmed on the relay from December.