Redbridge’s Engelbert Humperdinck? Singer, 73, picks up his microphone once again
An entertainer who has been delighting borough residents with his 1950s sound for more than 40 years has decided to pick up the microphone once again.
Harvey Manning, 73, will perform hits from music legends such as Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr twice a week at Italian restaurant Papillon, in Brook Parade, High Road, Chigwell.
The singer kicked off his new shows last week, though he claims he does not appreciate being known as a “crooner”.
He said: “I supposed I can be called that if I have to, but I don’t like the word.
“My music is what it should be, an accompaniment to some fine dining. I’m not there to take over!
You may also want to watch:
“My first few shows have gone very well and I have had people thank me after their meals, including a table full of women.”
Harvey began his performing career in 1958 and has performed more times than he can remember at the Kenneth More Theatre, in Oakfield Road, Ilford but is not quite ready to hang up his showman’s bow tie.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 3 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 4 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 5 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 6 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 7 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 8 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 9 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 10 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
He added: “I’m the youngest 73-year-old I know!”
Harvey performs every Monday and Thursday from 7,30pm.