Redbridge’s Engelbert Humperdinck? Singer, 73, picks up his microphone once again
An entertainer who has been delighting borough residents with his 1950s sound for more than 40 years has decided to pick up the microphone once again.
Harvey Manning, 73, will perform hits from music legends such as Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr twice a week at Italian restaurant Papillon, in Brook Parade, High Road, Chigwell.
The singer kicked off his new shows last week, though he claims he does not appreciate being known as a “crooner”.
He said: “I supposed I can be called that if I have to, but I don’t like the word.
“My music is what it should be, an accompaniment to some fine dining. I’m not there to take over!
You may also want to watch:
“My first few shows have gone very well and I have had people thank me after their meals, including a table full of women.”
Harvey began his performing career in 1958 and has performed more times than he can remember at the Kenneth More Theatre, in Oakfield Road, Ilford but is not quite ready to hang up his showman’s bow tie.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 3 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 4 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 7 Cycling access extended at Wanstead Park
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 9 Oxford student bids to improve top university access for state school pupils
- 10 Former Woodford Police Station could become office space
He added: “I’m the youngest 73-year-old I know!”
Harvey performs every Monday and Thursday from 7,30pm.