Redbridge’s Engelbert Humperdinck? Singer, 73, picks up his microphone once again
An entertainer who has been delighting borough residents with his 1950s sound for more than 40 years has decided to pick up the microphone once again.
Harvey Manning, 73, will perform hits from music legends such as Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr twice a week at Italian restaurant Papillon, in Brook Parade, High Road, Chigwell.
The singer kicked off his new shows last week, though he claims he does not appreciate being known as a “crooner”.
He said: “I supposed I can be called that if I have to, but I don’t like the word.
“My music is what it should be, an accompaniment to some fine dining. I’m not there to take over!
You may also want to watch:
“My first few shows have gone very well and I have had people thank me after their meals, including a table full of women.”
Harvey began his performing career in 1958 and has performed more times than he can remember at the Kenneth More Theatre, in Oakfield Road, Ilford but is not quite ready to hang up his showman’s bow tie.
- 1 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 5 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 8 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
He added: “I’m the youngest 73-year-old I know!”
Harvey performs every Monday and Thursday from 7,30pm.