Redbridge Rotary Club member becomes first female district governor
An inspirational woman, who has helped immunise children from polio in India, has become the first female district governor of rotary.
Eve Conway, of Buckhurst Hill, has become the first woman to be appointed to the role in London in its 100-year history.
She will be the 70th district governor for Rotary International in the capital and will oversee about 70 Rotary Clubs, mainly in the Greater London area.
The former CBS television correspondent said: “It is a great honour and it’s great to be the first woman in this role. Rotarians are inspirational people carrying out projects to help the local community and it’s great to be leading some pretty amazing people.
“I’ve got various projects that I’m spearheading. It’s quite an exciting time to take on this role and to start off with London 2012. I’m encouraging the rotarians to welcome the torch.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Conway has been a member of the Redbridge Rotary Club since 2000, and six years ago launched the Rotary Young Citizen Awards because she believed it was important to recognise positive young role models who are making a difference to the world around them.
In 2009 she also travelled to India to help immunise youngsters against polio, which has now been free from the disease for more than a year.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase