Redbridge probation workers set to strike
Probation workers in Redbridge are set to strike at noon on Tuesday in a continuing row over government plans to privatise the probation service.
Napo, the trade union for probation and family court staff, balloted for strike action last month, with members voting “overwhelmingly for strike action”.
Ian Lawrence, general secretary, said: “These are unprecedented times for our members as they fight to save the 106-year-old probation service.
“They strongly believe, along with other criminal justice agencies and experts that (Secretary of State for Justice) Chris Grayling’s plans will undermine public protection and put communities at risk whilst also not providing the adequate service offenders need to turn their lives around”.
There are growing concerns within the probation service about the two companies likely to bid for the service - Serco and G4S - if as planned 70 per cent of the sector is privatised.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lawrence said: “It is wholly unacceptable that these two companies are allowed to bid for the probation service whilst still under investigation for fraud regarding tagging and given their recent track records with the Olympics, private prisons and prison transport.
“The probation service is possibly the best performing public service we have, meeting and exceeding all government targets, reducing re-offending and being awarded the British Gold Award for Excellence in 2011.”
- 1 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 4 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 5 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 6 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 EV charging hub launched in South Woodford as ULEZ expands
- 9 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 10 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
Napo members across England and Wales will walk out of offices on Tuesday at 12 noon on November 5 and will not return until noon on November 6.
Strike action comes at a time when many public sector staff have announced strikes across the country in the last week.
The London Probation Trust said contingency plans were in place.
A spokesperson said: “We respect the right of London Probation Trust staff to take industrial action, and have planned for contingencies to ensure our core services are maintained.”