Search

Redbridge pledges support for armed forces with military covenant

PUBLISHED: 09:33 30 January 2013 | UPDATED: 09:35 30 January 2013

Leader of the council Cllr Keith Prince signing the armed forces agreement

Leader of the council Cllr Keith Prince signing the armed forces agreement

Archant

A special agreement has been signed by the council to acknowledge the “challenges and sacrifices” made by our armed forces.

Known as a military covenant, it is a show of support between the armed forces and our community.

Redbridge Council leader Cllr Keith Prince said: “The challenges and sacrifices that face the members of our armed forces cannot be overestimated and I am proud to show my support for the incredible work they do.”

The covenant means that organisations have access to grants of up to £250,000 for projects strengthening ties with the armed forces.

Cllr Prince said: “The Armed Forces Covenant is something that I and other members of the council are absolutely privileged to sign.”

The signing ceremony was held on Wednesday of last week at Valentines Mansion, Emerson Road, Ilford.

Major General George Norton said: “I am extremely grateful for the support the council and community provided to the armed forces over the period of the Olympic Games last year.

“It was critical to our ability to fulfil our security responsibilities.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder