Redbridge pensioners party in events for UK Older People’s Day
A celebration of being active and elderly takes place in Redbridge this week to highlight the achievements of the older generation.
UK Older People’s Day on Tuesday was the main event of a week-long programme across the country to spread the message that age is no barrier in staying fit in both body and mind.
A themed exhibition runs from 10am to 3pm until tomorrow (Fri) at the Alan Burgess Centre, in Wanstead High Street, with toys and games from different eras on display.
Age UK alongisde several local businesses hosted a health and wellbeing fair at Valentine’s Mansion on Tuesday,
James Monger, 59, Age UK senior manager, said: “It has been a brilliant success and the best one we’ve had so far.
You may also want to watch:
“On Tuesday we had a health event and we had 250 people through the door.”
Older People’s Day was set up to challenge negative attitudes and outdated stereotypes. This is the fifth year it has run.
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 6 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Woodford Green bomb scare declared false alarm
- 9 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 10 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
Friday’s exhibition will showcase traditional outfits from around the world – made, styled and modelled by older people – at 69 Albert Road, Ilford.
For more information visit: www.olderpeoplesday.co.uk or www.redbridge.gov.uk