Redbridge pensioners party in events for UK Older People’s Day
A celebration of being active and elderly takes place in Redbridge this week to highlight the achievements of the older generation.
UK Older People’s Day on Tuesday was the main event of a week-long programme across the country to spread the message that age is no barrier in staying fit in both body and mind.
A themed exhibition runs from 10am to 3pm until tomorrow (Fri) at the Alan Burgess Centre, in Wanstead High Street, with toys and games from different eras on display.
Age UK alongisde several local businesses hosted a health and wellbeing fair at Valentine’s Mansion on Tuesday,
James Monger, 59, Age UK senior manager, said: “It has been a brilliant success and the best one we’ve had so far.
You may also want to watch:
“On Tuesday we had a health event and we had 250 people through the door.”
Older People’s Day was set up to challenge negative attitudes and outdated stereotypes. This is the fifth year it has run.
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Hainault community garden gets £85k for 'ecotherapy' scheme
Friday’s exhibition will showcase traditional outfits from around the world – made, styled and modelled by older people – at 69 Albert Road, Ilford.
For more information visit: www.olderpeoplesday.co.uk or www.redbridge.gov.uk