Redbridge parking plans set to be axed
Controversial changes to parking schemes in Redbridge are set to be reversed in the face of a public outcry.
The council extended charging at pay and display bays to 7am until 7pm seven days a week from June, but announced on Friday that the zones, except Ilford Town Centre, will revert back to charging only between 8.30am and 6.30pm Monday to Saturday, if proposals are approved by cabinet on Tuesday September 6.
At a full council meeting last month, Cllr Michelle Dunn, cabinet member for highways, also announced she was recommending cabinet drop plans for most of the 13 proposed zones and further permit-only parking in some residential streets.
She said: “It has become clear from listening to local businesses and residents that proposals for parking are just not wanted in a lot of areas across the borough.
“The best solution is to recommend that the cabinet listens to these views too and does not continue with the proposals.
You may also want to watch:
“However it is important to recognise that some areas have welcomed the parking schemes and we will look to act on their wishes.”
Labour Cllr Wes Streeting called the decision a “U-turn,” but Cllr Dunn insisted that she just was “listening to residents’ concerns”.
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
Chairman of South Ilford Business Association, Khalid Hussain, said: “It was only thanks to coverage in the Ilford Recorder that the council has finally listened to us.
“This is absolutely brilliant news. Were are over the moon, delighted.
“But I am still angry with the council who put this in in the first place, with no consultation whatsoever.”
Wanstead resident Michael Powis, who organised a petition against the changes, told the Recorder: “We’re absolutely delighted, of course, but I’m not any chickens yet.”
Mr Powis urged as many people as possible to attend the cabinet meeting at the Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, on Tuesday, adding: “It does have a huge affect on the councillors to see us all sitting there.”
For more information call 020 8708 3500.