Redbridge Music Service takes campaign to Ilford town centre
PUBLISHED: 14:27 13 February 2015 | UPDATED: 15:55 13 February 2015
Young musicians will take to the streets to drum up support to keep Redbridge Music Service’s council funding on Monday.
An online petition – called “Hands Off Redrbidge Music Service” – has already collected just over 1,200 signatures, but the secretary of the centre in Fencepiece Road, Barkingside, is keen to continue the campaign in Ilford town centre.
Helen Watson, of South Woodford, whose two sons use the centre, said: “As parents we are opposed to losing council funding.
“It is not acceptable that children should have to pay for what mistakes politicians have made with the economy.
“What they are trying to do is reduce their contribution to zero.”
Redbridge Council is proposing to cut £185,000 of the service’s funding over the next two years, which goes towards instrument hire and lessons.
Speaking to the Recorder last month, Cllr Wes Streeting pointed out how the centre would not be closing down.
He said: “We have £70m worth of savings to find while trying to come up with the best way of safe guarding services.
“We would like to see a company take over the instrument hire centre so not only will we save money but the value and the quality of the service will remain the same.”
Parents and children from RMS will meet with Wes Streeting on February 24.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.