Redbridge MPs sign the Holocaust Book of Commitment
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge MPs have signed the Book of Commitment, pledging their firm commitment to Holocaust Memorial Day.
Ilford North’s Lee Scott signed the book last week, honouring those who died, in the run up to the 68th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau.
The Holocaust Educational Trust were responsible for placing the book in the House of Commons, giving MPs the chance to honour those who were persecuted and encouraging them to work together to combat prejudice and racism today.
Lee Scott said “Holocaust Memorial Day is a vitally important opportunity to remember all the victims of the Holocaust and subsequent genocides.
“I encourage all constituents to mark the day and to join members of community in the fight against prejudice and intolerance.”
You may also want to watch:
Mike Gapes, the MP for Ilford South, pledged his commitment to Holocaust Memorial Day and paid tribute to the “extraordinary Holocaust survivors who work tirelessly to educate young people about what they endured.
“This year, people will also be encouraged to honour those communities that have been destroyed by genocide and reflect on the importance of coming together to oppose prejudice and hatred.”
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 7 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 8 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 9 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
Iain Duncan Smith, the MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, and John Cryer, the MP for Leyton and Wanstead, also signed the book.