Redbridge gets �50k Olympic boost
A “2012-inspired crop circle”, colourful flower bedding and “creative lighting” of the Pioneer Point development could all be used to celebrate the 2012 Olympics in Redbridge.
Cabinet members gave the go-ahead to use �50,000 from the Greater London Authority (GLA) on Olympics celebrations next summer.
The council will use a “look book” to decide how to decorate the borough during the sporting festival in east London and can purchase items including large feather flags and bunting.
The funding will help the borough to dress its town centre and organise cultural events. An order will be placed with the GLA by December 15.
The council has also secured �32,500 in funding from the borough’s area committees towards celebrating the Games.
You may also want to watch:
Further funding could be secured from three area committee meetings.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 4 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 7 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London