Redbridge footballer to represent Britain in world final
A 19-year-old is heading to Barcelona to test his football skills against some of the world’s best young players after winning the UK-edition of a worldwide competition.
Jose Figura, a student at Redbridge College, Barley Lane, Little Heath, beat off competition to be one of just three players chosen to represent Britain at the eight-day final of The Chance, organised by Nike.
After impressing Nike scouts at his college in May, Jose was invited to attend the national final at Manchester United’s Carrington ground last week, where he was selected for the final.
Jose said: “I went out there and put everything I had into it and was happy with my performance, even though it was nerve-wracking when the coaches were cutting down the players.”
He added: “It’s going to be a big challenge to meet the top players from their respective countries but hopefully I’ll go out there and be able to match their level or even rise above it.”
You may also want to watch:
Jose studies BTEC level three diploma in sport at the college and he has also played for Enfield-based Winchmore Hill FC.
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 3 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 4 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 5 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 6 Thames Water says its drainage systems did not fail during flash floods
- 7 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 8 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford