Redbridge firefighters to down tools as strike dates announced
FIREFIGHTERS in Redbridge will walk out for 10 hours on October 23 in a row over new contracts.
A second strike will then take place on November 1.
Both strikes, taking place across the capital, will start at 10am and finish at 6pm and will see a private contractor brought in by London Fire Brigade to provide emergency fire cover.
The Fire Brigade Union is unhappy about shift patterns and “sacking notices” which have been sent to staff.
Chairman of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority, Brian Coleman said: “Firefighters are going to be striking over plans to reduce a 15 hour night shift by three hours, and add those three hours to a nine hour day shift. “That is all these proposals seek to do, no station closures, no increase in hours and no change to the four day rest period between shifts. This is about making more time in the day for vital training and fire prevention work.”
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve been discussing this for five years and have offered to compromise, so it’s time for the FBU to stop blocking these changes.”
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station