Redbridge fire commander: ‘We will still make emergency response times if cuts go ahead’
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge fire commander Steve Brown has said the brigade will still be able to get to Redbridge fires in target time despite planned cuts to stations bordering the borough.
Redbridge’s three fire stations look to be safe from the axe as swingeing cuts are planned for stations across London.
But proposed changes to fire stations surrounding the borough in Newham and Waltham Forest could mean extra work for firefighters at Ilford, Woodford and Hainault.
Mr Brown said: “I’m pleased that Hainault wasn’t chosen for closure but the changes will have a wide-ranging effect on the brigade.
“From Redbridge’s point of view there’s a minor increase in first and second response times of one and eight seconds respectively.
You may also want to watch:
“But in my opinion, in the big scheme of things that’s going to have a minimal effect because we will still maintain our target response times.”
The number of fires is falling and Mr Brown hopes that will community fire safety awareness, work with landlords and tenants, home safety visits and co-operation with other emergency services, the trend will continue.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 4 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 5 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 6 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 9 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 10 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
The government and Mayor of London have ordered a £28.8million budget cut to the London Fire Brigade over the next two years.
Chingford, Leyton and Leytonstone could each lose one of their two fire engines and 520 firefighters would need to go across the brigade, hopefully without compulsory redundancies.
The London Fire Authority rejected the closure plans on Monday but mayor Boris Johnson used his powers to overrule them.
A final decision is expected in June following public consultation.