Redbridge disabled uncertain of cuts to disability living allowance
DISABLED people and their carers have spoken of the “stress” and “uncertainty” dominating their lives as they wait to hear final details of the government’s multi-million pound cuts to the disability living allowance (DLA).
People in care homes will lose the mobility section of their allowance under the plans and all DLA recipients between the ages of 16 and 64 will be reassessed.Dozens of people were involved in passionate exchanges with a representative from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on Thursday, as they aired their fears during a question and answer meeting.
Some raised concerns the government’s reforms would leave people “trapped” in their homes while others questioned the format of re-assessments.But speaking at Central Library, Clements Road, Ilford, on Thursday, Fiona Walsh, from the DWP, said the government would listen to concerns and take heed of feedback from its consultation.
Evette Saffron 42, of Barkingside, whose 15-year-old daughter has Down’s syndrome, told the Recorder after the meeting: “This is extremely stressful and very worrying.
“At the moment there are three levels which determine your allowance.
You may also want to watch:
“Now it seems like it will be reduced to two levels, so it will limit what you may get and you might end up being put into the lower level.”
Speaking of the reassessment plans, Mark Goldstein, whose nine-year-old daughter has the condition, said: “It’s something that will never change. She’s not going to get better and what I think most people are worried about is the reassessment process.”
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 4 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 9 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 10 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
The 50-year-old of Clayhall added: “Call me naive, but I think generally, people who need it (DLA) will still get it.”
Last week’s meeting, which was followed on Friday by a second gathering due to high demand, was organised by the Redbridge Local Involvement Network – a health and social care group.
Frank Spring, chairman of The Friends of Dunelm,fundraisers for a nursing home for adults with severe learning disabilities in Grove Road, Chadwell Heath,said proposals to abolish the mobility element of the DLA for people living in care homes was “totally wrong”.
He said: “It will seriously impact on what they can do, and I’m very concerned about it.”
The consultation on the plans runs until February 14.