Redbridge councillor describes ‘brilliant’ moment seeing Usain Bolt win gold in Olympic Stadium
A Redbridge councillor was lucky enough to see sprinter Usain Bolt win gold.
Cllr Jas Athwal, who was at the Olympic Stadium for the 100m final on Sunday, described the event as like nothing he had experienced before.
The Mayfield ward councillor said: “I’ve been to football matches and big sporting events in the past but nothing was like this. All 80,000 people wanted the same man to win.
“To be able to experience this world event, and in London, was brilliant. The atmosphere was like a carnival and you could hear a pin drop before the race began.”
Cllr Athwal, who took his nieces and nephews to the event, added: “My daughters and their mum went to the stadium on Saturday, which might as well have been called the Brit Awards.
You may also want to watch:
“The stadium was absolutely rocking and we will all remember the night for the rest of our lives.”
He added: “I wish every day was Olympic day.”
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 3 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
- 7 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 8 Redbridge Tories urge front desk re-opening at Barkingside Police Station
- 9 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 10 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford