Redbridge councillor describes ‘brilliant’ moment seeing Usain Bolt win gold in Olympic Stadium
A Redbridge councillor was lucky enough to see sprinter Usain Bolt win gold.
Cllr Jas Athwal, who was at the Olympic Stadium for the 100m final on Sunday, described the event as like nothing he had experienced before.
The Mayfield ward councillor said: “I’ve been to football matches and big sporting events in the past but nothing was like this. All 80,000 people wanted the same man to win.
“To be able to experience this world event, and in London, was brilliant. The atmosphere was like a carnival and you could hear a pin drop before the race began.”
Cllr Athwal, who took his nieces and nephews to the event, added: “My daughters and their mum went to the stadium on Saturday, which might as well have been called the Brit Awards.
You may also want to watch:
“The stadium was absolutely rocking and we will all remember the night for the rest of our lives.”
He added: “I wish every day was Olympic day.”
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 4 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation