Redbridge Council tenants to be hit with rent hikes of 6% a year
Redbridge Council tenants are set to be financially worse off this year after rent increases of six per cent were agreed at cabinet last night.
As well as this, tenant service charges will be increased by an average of 10.8 per cent – �4.72 a week – and charges for heating and hot water will go up an average of �12.13 per week.
Cabinet member for housing Robin Turbefield said: “We won’t have to pay any subsidy back to the government.
“The previous government did not put up these charges as they should have been and now we have to make up for it,” he added.
But there was good news for council taxpayers as council leader Cllr Keith Prince announced during the meeting at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, that council would be frozen for the third year running.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We know that many households are struggling to make ends meet during the economic downturn and our priority is to freeze council tax for the third year running.”
Redbridge Homes’ fate was sealed by cabinet members after it was agreed the arms length management organisation for council homes’ agreement would be terminated on July 31.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 5 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 6 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 7 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 8 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 9 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 10 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
This will see the management of all council homes dealt with directly by Redbridge Council, as supported by 65 per cent of council tenants.
Cllr Robin Turbefield said: “It’s important residents retain a key level of decision making.”