Redbridge council leader says councillors are ‘good value’ on above-average allowance
The basic allowance paid to Redbridge councillors is above the London average, it has emerged.
Councillors are paid a minimum �10,138 annually, compared to an average of �9,558 across 32 London boroughs.
The amount can rise substantially with extra responsibilities like chairing committees.
Council leader Cllr Keith Prince said most councillors are “very good value” for Redbridge residents.
He added: “At the beginning of the administration we cut 10 per cent out of the money spent on special responsibility allowance and cut a million from senior officers’ pay.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s not very pleasant to be a councillor at the moment. We are having to make some very difficult decisions and they aren’t ones we are pleased to be making.
“The job has changed and I don’t know how many people would be queuing up to do the job councillors do for what they get paid for it.”
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 6 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 9 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
Campaign group the Taxpayers’ Alliance compared the basic allowances paid at every local authority in the county in their latest report.
Political director Jonathan Isaby said: “At a time when councillors are having to make savings across the board, their own allowances should not be immune from cuts and it is worth noting that some councils have indeed reduced the bill over the last couple of years.”