Redbridge clubs news: Valentines Singers, Ilford Chess Club and Redbridge 18 Plus
- Credit: Kathleen Beaumont
A round up of news from the borough’s clubs and societies.
Leonard Bernstein’s Chichester Psalms is the main item in Valentine Singers’ next concert
Commissioned for the 1965 Chichester Festival, this exciting work demonstrates Bernstein’s gift for hauntingly beautiful melody, intense drama and infectiously jazzy rhythms.
These themes are evident in the composers best-known work, West Side Story - a hit Hollywood musical about the rivalry between two gangs, the Jets and the Sharks and the love one member has for his rival’s sister.
You may also want to watch:
Bernstein’s score includes classics “Maria”, “America”, “I Feel Pretty” and “Somewhere”.
The Chicester Psalms were originally scored for a full orchestra which the Singers will perform to the composer’s own arrangement for organ, harp percussion instruments.
- 1 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall
- 3 Redbridge pubs gear up for outdoor opening
- 4 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 5 Plans submitted for more than 500 homes on former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 6 Criticism of 'comedy of errors' consultation for Wanstead flat extension plans
- 7 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 8 Plaistow man denies murdering two men in Goodmayes
- 9 Prince Philip death: Redbridge pays tribute to Duke of Edinburgh
- 10 Man in hospital after being slashed multiple times in Wanstead
A work with the same instrumental accompaniment is the Dorchester Canticles by the British composer Tarik O’Regan, first performed in 2004.
Two English works will complete the programme – Gustav Holst’s choral hymns for women’s voices with harp, and Sir Edward Elgar’s anthem “Great is the Lord”.
The concert will be on Saturday, March 12 at 7.30 pm, at St. Andrew’s Church, The Drive, Ilford. Tickets are £14 and £8 for concessions and can be bought from in advance.
Tickets are £14 and £8 for concessions and in advance or £16 on the door. Visit valentinesingers.org for booking information or call 02085504654
Ilford Chess Club
The Ilford Chess Club made an astounding return to form by winning a match against Barking last week.
Having been beat by Basildon a few days before, members faced their competitors with some intrepidation as they had not beaten their formidable opponents in years.
Team rose to the challenge and played with a skill to be proud of.
The club welcomes new members and meet Monday evenings from 7.30pm at Redbridge Social Centre, rear of 188/190 Beehive Lane, Ilford Essex. Contact Tom Barton on 02085501181 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Redbridge 18 Plus
Members of Redbridge 18 Plus enjoyed a busy weekend at the end of February.
The group held a “Room 101” challenge where the team with the most dislikes in a box won and also enjoyed a trip to the Olympic Park and Three Mills Island.
Members saw how canals and rivers, such as the River Lee, connect together and how tidal mills played a part in developing local industry.
For more information on the club visit redbridge18plus.org.uk or call Fran on 02085541364