Redbridge clubs news: Discover wartime art, look after the park and debate faiths which fast
- Credit: Archant
News from Redbridge clubs, societies and voluntary organisations.
Ilford Art Society
The 88-year-old group is due to delve into the world of wartime art at an illustrated talk from a renowned Essex artist.
Artist Ronald Clark will lead the talk alongside his wife Stella Clark – who will be exploring First World War poetry.
The art group will also be looking to recruit members following their summer recess.
You may also want to watch:
The October 1 event will be held at St Francis Church Hall in Fencepiece Road, Hainault, from 7.30pm till 9.30pm.
Art Society secretary Patricia Skidmore, of Ilford, said: “The First World War was such a profound experience and we always had artists going to war to capture what they saw at the time - a lot of people don’t know that it used to happen.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 5 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 6 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
Event entry is £5. Call 020 8478 4841 for more information.
Friends of Wanstead Parklands
The Wanstead Park group are due to hold their next committee meeting on September 10 and are urging people to come along.
The group regularly put on events and park walks and aim to promote the rich history of the park in Warren Road, Wanstead.
The upcoming meeting is due to be held at the Wanstead Golf Club in Overton Drive, Wanstead at 7.30pm.
Membership costs £5 a year for an individual and £10 a year for a family, with membership money going towards the upkeep of the grade II listed park.
For more information or to become a member call 020 8539 4707.
Ilford Historical Society
Ilford Historical Society is due to hold its first talk since its summer break on September 8.
The history group are inviting people to the Ilford in the Great War: Over here and over there talk, which is to be led by author John Barfoot.
The talk aims to explore the complexities of wartime life, with free refreshments available for guests to enjoy.
Society chairman Jef Page, 64, of Ilford, said: “John Barfoot’s a noted author and he knows his stuff - we trust him to give us a good talk.”
The event, which will be held at the Ilford Hospital Chapel in Ilford Hill, Ilford, at 7.30pm.
Entry is £2, with free entry for society members.
Call 020 3730 8297 for more information.
Redbridge Faith Forum
The faiths group is holding a discussion on the practice of fasting and its benefits as part of their programme of interfaith women workshops.
The Redbridge Faith Forum, which looks to promote tolerance of faiths and cultures, will be putting on the event on September 11 at St Alban’s Church in Albert Road, Ilford.
Cream tea and fruit will be provided at the event, which will kick off at 1.30pm.
There is a £3 voluntary contribution to enter. Call 020 8708 2478 to book a place.