Redbridge clubs news: Autumn Flower Show, Santa fun run, wax museum visit and the historic Thames
- Credit: Archant
News from Redbridge clubs, societies and voluntary organisations.
Ilford Horticultural Society
Parade your perfect pumpkins and petunias at the growing group’s 70th Autumn Show on Sunday.
Enter your fruits, flowers and vegetables in the show and have them judged by Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) and National Association of Flower Arrangement Societies (NAFAS) experts.
The Autumn Show is due to take place at Valentines Mansion in Emerson Road, Ilford.
You may also want to watch:
Society chairman Margaret Quinney, of Ilford, said: “The people that come to our society meetings are very keen growers and it’s great to showcase their work at the show.”
“We have dahlias, fuschias and some serious pot plants too this year.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 5 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 6 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
Exhibits must be entered between 9am and 11am, with the show opening to the public and judges at 11am.
Awards are due to be presented by Redbridge Mayor Cllr Ashley Kissin at 2pm before the show comes to a close at 3pm.
Call 020 8550 4790 for more information.
The Rotary Club of Roding
Those interested in taking on the club’s Santa Fun Run have until the end of October to sign themselves up.
The club announced that it is now accepting registrations for the charity run, which involves a 5km run - or walk - dressed as Santa Claus.
The event is due to take place on December 7, between 10.30am and 2.30pm at the Ashton Playing Fields in Chigwell Road, Woodford Bridge.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit rodingrotary.org.uk to download an application form.
Santa Claus outfits will be provided.
Members of the social club marvelled at celebrity waxworks and posed to take pictures on their latest group trip.
The group, which meets every Friday at Central Library in Clements Road, Ilford, visited the world-famous Madame Tussauds wax museum.
Group members got the chance to snap away with the likes of David and Victoria Beckham, Mo Farah and Kylie Minogue before going on a taxi-cab tour of Tudor London.
The group rounded of the day with a 4D film.
Member Kerry Mann said: “I really liked posing with all the stars and watching a spectacular 4D film. It was a really fantastic day.”
For more information visit redbridge18plus.org.uk or call 0208 553 0947.
Wanstead Historical Society
The society will start its new season of events with an illustrated talk on the historic River Thames.
Kathleen Lancaster will explore the hustle and bustle of the famous river and its role in making London a wealthy city.
The 8pm event takes place at Wanstead Library’s Churchill Room, in Spratt Hall Road, Wanstead, on September 18.
Refreshments will be provided and there is a £3 charge for non-members to enter.
Call 07949 026212 for more information.