Redbridge children mark 500-day Olympic countdown
The final countdown to the Olympics officially began with a special event to mark 500 days before London 2012 starts.
The final countdown to the Olympics officially began with a special event to mark 500 days before London 2012 starts. Residents from the council’s ambassador programme joined pupils from Cleveland Junior School in Ilford town centre this afternoon to give out stickers and talk to shoppers and businesses about the Olympics and how they can get involved.
Redbridge’s 2012 ambassadors also attended and will appear at events over the coming year to encourage participation in Olympic events.Cleveland Junior School is one of several in the borough that have been awarded Get Set status, the official London 2012 education programme for schools, and colleges across the UK.
Over the next year there will be a number of events taking place across Redbridge as London 2012 draws ever nearer.
The council is giving young people the opportunity to try Olympic sports at venues across the Borough, available to anyone aged 16 or under.
You may also want to watch:
To keep up to date on all the latest information on London 2012, visit www.redbridge.gov.uk/olympics.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 3 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 6 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 7 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 8 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 9 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 10 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'