Redbridge children mark 500-day Olympic countdown
The final countdown to the Olympics officially began with a special event to mark 500 days before London 2012 starts.
The final countdown to the Olympics officially began with a special event to mark 500 days before London 2012 starts. Residents from the council’s ambassador programme joined pupils from Cleveland Junior School in Ilford town centre this afternoon to give out stickers and talk to shoppers and businesses about the Olympics and how they can get involved.
Redbridge’s 2012 ambassadors also attended and will appear at events over the coming year to encourage participation in Olympic events.Cleveland Junior School is one of several in the borough that have been awarded Get Set status, the official London 2012 education programme for schools, and colleges across the UK.
Over the next year there will be a number of events taking place across Redbridge as London 2012 draws ever nearer.
The council is giving young people the opportunity to try Olympic sports at venues across the Borough, available to anyone aged 16 or under.
You may also want to watch:
To keep up to date on all the latest information on London 2012, visit www.redbridge.gov.uk/olympics.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 5 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 9 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 10 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge