Redbridge charity celebrates Vaisakhi festival with meal at Newbury Park restaurant
- Credit: Archant
A Sikh festival was celebrated by a charity, which supports the elderly Indian community in Redbridge, with a special meal at a Newbury Park restaurant.
Members of the Redbridge Indian Welfare Association (RIWA) invited the community to celebrate Vaisakhi at Masala Restaurant, Eastern Avenue, on Wednesday of last week.
The annual festival commemorates the establishment of the Khalsa and traditionally occurs in Punjab with the first harvesting of the crops.
General secretary Ram Bhandari said: “We celebrate the very special and significant Sikh festival with a meal each year and it is always a lovely event.
“It is nice to bring everyone together and everyone was so happy to be welcoming the new year.”
You may also want to watch:
RIWA is a non-political charity which works towards helping elderly residents of Indian origin in the borough.
- 1 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 7 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 8 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 9 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station