Redbridge boss revels in FA Cup heroics
Terry Spillane guides Motormen to FA Cup first round proper, after just four months in charge
Redbridge boss Terry Spillane believes the 2-0 FA Cup win over Ebbsfleet United on Saturday was exactly what his side deserved.
The Oakside outfit kept the Blue Square Bet Premier side at bay for the whole match – a feat they have now managed in the last four rounds of the competition – and made the most of their chances as Joe Gardner and Ryan Murray found the net.
The Motormen’s reward is an FA Cup first round tie at home to Oxford City on November 12.
Spillane said: “To say I am delighted is an understatement.
You may also want to watch:
“The whole game was excellent. I am going to be biased, but I thought we deserved it.
“I don’t think they can walk away saying that we were lucky.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 4 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
“They are not playing in the Conference through luck, because they are all good players, but we had a game plan and it worked.
“At the big moments in the game we have come up with the goods, so I am delighted for everyone, especially the chairman who took a gamble with me coming over here and I think I have paid him off.
“That’s a clean sheet in every round now, apart from the first one at Cockfosters, and since then we have been underdogs against Wingate & Finchley, Bury Town, Dunstable Town and Ebbsfleet.
“We have had our cup final today and won it and we have another one coming up, so that’s our Champions League final.”