Redbridge boss revels in FA Cup heroics
Terry Spillane guides Motormen to FA Cup first round proper, after just four months in charge
Redbridge boss Terry Spillane believes the 2-0 FA Cup win over Ebbsfleet United on Saturday was exactly what his side deserved.
The Oakside outfit kept the Blue Square Bet Premier side at bay for the whole match – a feat they have now managed in the last four rounds of the competition – and made the most of their chances as Joe Gardner and Ryan Murray found the net.
The Motormen’s reward is an FA Cup first round tie at home to Oxford City on November 12.
Spillane said: “To say I am delighted is an understatement.
You may also want to watch:
“The whole game was excellent. I am going to be biased, but I thought we deserved it.
“I don’t think they can walk away saying that we were lucky.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 3 Where to go for Italian food in Redbridge, according to TripAdvisor
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 6 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 7 'Important' business park to be exempt from new planning rules
- 8 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 9 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 10 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
“They are not playing in the Conference through luck, because they are all good players, but we had a game plan and it worked.
“At the big moments in the game we have come up with the goods, so I am delighted for everyone, especially the chairman who took a gamble with me coming over here and I think I have paid him off.
“That’s a clean sheet in every round now, apart from the first one at Cockfosters, and since then we have been underdogs against Wingate & Finchley, Bury Town, Dunstable Town and Ebbsfleet.
“We have had our cup final today and won it and we have another one coming up, so that’s our Champions League final.”