Rat and Reid World Cup hopes look slim
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Razvan Rat’s Romania have it all to do to qualify next year’s World Cup.
The West Ham defender played the whole 90 minutes of their 3-1 play-off defeat to Greece last night, and picked up a booking in stoppage time for a foul.
The Greeks took the lead through Konstantinos Mitroglou in Athens before Bogdan Stancu levelled for Romania briefly.
Dimitris Salpingidis restored Greece’s lead and Mitroglou made it 3-1 to leave Romania with a mountain to climb.
Defender Rat played the whole 90 minutes in Athens, and picked up a booking in stoppage time for a foul.
You may also want to watch:
The teams meet again in Bucharest on Tuesday to decide who goes to Brazil.
His defensive team mate Winston Reid is likely to miss out on the World Cup after his New Zealand team lost the first leg of their qualifying play-off 5-1 to Mexico on Wednesday.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 5 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 6 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 9 School Streets scheme to expand in September
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London