Rabbi hails new, modern synagogue in Gants Hill after first service
A rabbi has said the atmosphere at the first service in his synagogue’s new building was “fantastic”
Rabbi Alex Chapper, of Ilford Federation Synagogue, Coventry Road, Ilford said the first service attracted almost twice the usual attendance.
The congregation will formally move to the new location in Beehive Lane, Gants Hill, next summer.
Mr Chapper said: “This is a very exciting moment, not just in the history of this community, but in its future.
“This service proves that we’re able to transplant the tremendous communal spirit at Coventry Road into a new facility and we can look ahead with great expectation.”
You may also want to watch:
The new synagogue will be in the former Dennis Centre, which is smaller and more modern than the Coventry Road site.
Before the Dennis Centre opened, the building was continuously used as a synagogue from 1938.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 6 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 7 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites
- 10 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang