Queen to visit Ilford at start of Diamond Jubilee tour
The Queen will launch her Diamond Jubilee tour of the UK with a visit to Ilford in March, it has been revealed.
She will be accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh on a tour of Valentines Mansion and Gardens, off Emerson Road, Ilford, on Thursday, March 29.
It will herald the start of a series of regional tours throughout the UK to mark the Queen’s 60 years on the throne.
She last visited Redbridge in May 2002 as part of her Golden Jubilee celebrations, when she was at Redbridge Lane West allotments.
Council leader Cllr Keith Prince said: “It is a real honour that the Queen will be visiting Redbridge as part of her Diamond Jubilee celebrations. “The borough was lucky enough to be a part of the celebrations for the Golden Jubilee 10 years ago and I’m delighted that we will be representing north east London for the Diamond Jubilee visit.
You may also want to watch:
“It is a fantastic showcase for Valentines Park and the Mansion and I would urge residents to book the date in their diaries and join the crowds for the visit.”
Deputy council leader Cllr Ian Bond said: “It is fantastic news that the borough has been chosen for the visit.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
“This is an exciting year for Redbridge and London, with the Olympics taking place this summer and a visit from the Queen will really help to make it a very special and memorable year.
“It will also give us a great opportunity to show people what Redbridge has to offer.”