Queen to visit Ilford at start of Diamond Jubilee tour
The Queen will launch her Diamond Jubilee tour of the UK with a visit to Ilford in March, it has been revealed.
She will be accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh on a tour of Valentines Mansion and Gardens, off Emerson Road, Ilford, on Thursday, March 29.
It will herald the start of a series of regional tours throughout the UK to mark the Queen’s 60 years on the throne.
She last visited Redbridge in May 2002 as part of her Golden Jubilee celebrations, when she was at Redbridge Lane West allotments.
Council leader Cllr Keith Prince said: “It is a real honour that the Queen will be visiting Redbridge as part of her Diamond Jubilee celebrations. “The borough was lucky enough to be a part of the celebrations for the Golden Jubilee 10 years ago and I’m delighted that we will be representing north east London for the Diamond Jubilee visit.
You may also want to watch:
“It is a fantastic showcase for Valentines Park and the Mansion and I would urge residents to book the date in their diaries and join the crowds for the visit.”
Deputy council leader Cllr Ian Bond said: “It is fantastic news that the borough has been chosen for the visit.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 3 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 8 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 9 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
“This is an exciting year for Redbridge and London, with the Olympics taking place this summer and a visit from the Queen will really help to make it a very special and memorable year.
“It will also give us a great opportunity to show people what Redbridge has to offer.”