Queen’s Diamond Jubilee visit to Ilford: ‘It was like talking to my mum’, says schoolboy
“It was like talking to my mum” was the verdict from a schoolboy who had a good old natter with her Majesty as she looked at artwork by Redbridge’s talented young.
While nerves were in the air for Hiran Adhia, they quickly went away once the Queen stepped inside the Design Marquee in the grounds of Valentines Mansion.
The 17-year-old was standing next to a canvas made of stamps he and his peers at Ilford County High School, Fremantle Road, Barkingside, put together.
The Queen’s head was formed out of dozens of stamps spanning the last 60 years.
After speak to the Queen Hiran said: “I asked her if she thought it was a good likeness.
You may also want to watch:
“She took a step back and said, ‘yes, it does look like me’.
“She said you can pick up a couple of key figures [on the canvas].
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 4 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
“I said I enjoyed making it but I’m sick of stamps now!
“I think she wanted to say: ‘I’m not too keen on them myself’.”
He added: “I just thought I’d take a chance and talk to her.”
Schoolboy Alex Rose had the Queen laughing out loud as she spoke to him while his father Jason, 46, painted his portrait.
Artist Yvette Rawson, 50, had tins with a vintage feel on display decorated in different ways.
She said: “The Queen came right over and looked at one of the tins.
“It was exciting but also surreal. She’s someone you see on TV growing up so it was quite special.”