Public meeting on School Streets schemes which ban traffic at certain times
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Redbridge Council is holding a virtual public briefing on Wednesday about its School Streets proposals.
In 2019, it introduced the scheme at Fairlop Primary School, Barkingside, and SS Peter and Paul's Catholic Primary School/Gordon Primary School, Ilford.
The objectives are to reduce air pollution levels around schools, help protect children from traffic at the school gate and encourage more children to walk and cycle to school.
In addition to those two schemes, the council is consulting on 10 additional ones.
The public meeting will be from 7pm to 8.30pm on Wednesday, February 10. Speakers will be Cllr Jo Blackman, cabinet member for environment and civic pride; Steve Grayer, head of highways and transportation strategy; Adam Warnes, head of parking and traffic; and Donald Chalker, principal engineer - transport.
Redbridge School Streets means that non-essential vehicle traffic can't enter School Street zones during the schools' start and finish times during term time. Residents and businesses within the zone are entitled to a free exemption. Arrangements can also be made for health and care workers.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Blackman said: "We want to hear residents' views and to answer any questions they may have. I'd encourage everyone who has an interest in this project to attend the public meeting on Wednesday so we can continue the discussion on how we can best tackle air pollution around our schools and safeguard children's health."
The council says early results show the existing pilot schemes have successfully reduced traffic at the school gate, making the area safer for children, and encouraging them to walk, scoot, and cycle to school.
To attend the meeting, join here at 7pm on Wednesday, February 10.
Residents also have until Sunday, February 14 to take part in the consultation.
- 1 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 2 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 3 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 8 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 9 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 10 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings