Protesters hold Ilford demo in battle to ‘save’ music school
YOUNG protesters took to the streets this afternoon in one final push to save Redbridge Music Service from cuts.
Banners reading Save Redbridge Music School were waved outside Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford.
Students of the school in Fencepiece Road, Hainault, have already collected more 1,000 signatures in their bid to keep services at the music school intact.
Protester Elizabeth Milne fears the music school will be forced to shut at the end of the three-year cuts plan if they go ahead.
The 16-year-old cellist said: “I’m very passionate about this.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m leaving to go university in two years so it won’t really affect me, but for everyone else going there it’s going to make a big difference.
“Staff will be asked to do more work for less and less advantaged people will be shut out.”
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 4 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 5 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 8 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 9 Need for Frenford Foodbank won't end when pandemic does, say volunteers
- 10 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
The proposals, which need to be signed off on March 3 by full council before being implemented, include cuts of �205,000 in 2011/12.
Those cuts include �116,000 of savings in staffing costs, �12,000 of savings from the reintroduction of charges for instrument hire during the first year of tuition and �10,000 of savings from a reduction in the use of high cost venues.
Total cuts at the music school will be �840,000 by 2013/14.