Professional mixed martial arts fighter doubles size of his Chadwell Heath gym
A Chadwell Heath gym owned by a professional mixed martial arts fighter has doubled in size and has brought in extra bodybuilding equipment and a women-only exercise suite.
Ilford resident Khalid Ismail, owner of the Lion’s Den Gym Fitness Centre in High Road, fights in Ultimate Challenge Mixed Martial Arts competitions.
His gym now boasts a strength and conditioning zone, a fight zone and additional rest and relaxation areas.
Mr Ismail said: “I had to travel three or four miles to train when I was young. Now you don’t have to go anywhere else.”
The gym re-opened at the end of last month, with free classes offered to guests.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Ismail held his own open session to show the training required of mixed martial arts fighters.
The combat sport allows fighters to use both grappling and striking techniques and Mr Ismail will make a comeback fight, following a year’s lay-off because of injury, on December 1.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 5 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 6 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 7 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 8 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 9 School Streets scheme to expand in September
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London