Pressure mounting on Boris Johnson to speed up improvements at Newbury Park death junction
PUBLISHED: 11:15 22 May 2013 | UPDATED: 17:57 24 May 2013
Pressure is mounting on Boris Johnson to speed up safety improvements at the junction where young mum Jothi Sriskandapalan died last week.
The 29-year-old was the second person to be killed in a crash near the turning from Eastern Avenue into Newbury Park Tube station.
Her funeral is today.
The previous victim was 69-year-old Dusan Danilovic, who was killed in a pile-up on January 1, 2011.
The Mayor of London pledged to improve safety at the blackspot in June following a question from assembly member Roger Evans.
Mr Johnson said: “The new traffic light system will be in place by October 2013 but we will put other measures in place in the meantime.”
But last week, a spokesman for the mayor said that although the traffic lights are still due in autumn, nothing has yet been changed.
Mr Evans was due to question the mayor further on plans for the junction in Mayor’s Question Time yesterday.
Cllr Ruth Clark said: “It’s so dangerous there, temporary measures should go in before the lights.